Bored kids? Try one of our 10 school vacation ideas.
Christmas is over, the kids are already losing interest in the new toys–and the whole winter break is still ahead. What’s a parent to do?
Plenty, around here! Check out these 10 things to do with your kids over the break:
Keep the holidays alive a bit longer….
1. Visit Mystic Seaport, which will still be decked out for Christmas by the Sea, and hear all about those historic Christmases of long ago.
2. Check out Mystic Aquarium’s Winter Waterland, complete with Santa swimming with the fish and all kids of cool events.
3. Sharpen your skates and head over to the new Rink at Parade Plaza in New London for some outdoor ice skating.
4. Visit The Florence Griswold Museum to see the fantasy Christmas trees, all decorated to capture the spirit of 1910. While you’re there, celebrate Miss Florence’s birthday – it was on Christmas!
5. Take in the Holiday Train Show at the Connecticut River Museum. A magical 26-foot model train setup, complete with scavenger hunt for objects hidden inside the settings. There’s also a toddler-sized exhibit.
If you’re all holiday-ed out….
6. Go bowling! High Rollers at Foxwoods is high class bowling….but if you want something simpler, try Holiday Bowl in Groton or Norwich Ten Pin Bowl in Norwich.
7. Roller skate at Galaxy Roller Rink in Groton.
8. Visit a museum. The Submarine Force Museum in Groton, the Mashantucket Pequot Museum, or the Children’s Museum of Southeastern CT are all popular choices. If your kids want trendy, head to Lyman Allyn Art Museum for the skateboard or Manga exhibits.
9. Check out the Harlem Globetrotters at Mohegan Sun. Fun for all ages!
10. Go exploring – dig for gems, crack open a geode, pan for gold in Thunder Creek, and more at The Dinosaur Place at Nature’s Art.
*Photo courtesy of New London Main St.